Couldn't figure out why my CSS changes weren't being applied (turns out I was in prod)

Jul 11, 2020 frusturating debugging

I know this is a pretty common mistake, but I just spent 20 minutes debugging a CSS issue before I realized that I was loading the “production” version of the site and not my local development version.

My local development server was being served at https://localhost:1313, but the page I was testing was https://hugo--milesland.netlify.app/. So of course my fixes weren’t working — I wasn’t loading the page with the fixes applied!

This isn’t the first time this has happened to me, and it certainly won’t be the last…